David Lynch Masterclass is NOW LIVE and open for enrolments.
What you should expect from this film course? What will be included?
Let’s dive in !
David Lynch : Biography
Born in Missoula, Montana, on January 20, 1946, David Lynch is one of the most important filmmakers of our time.
He has received 3 Academy Award nominations for Best Director, and has won the Palme d’Or at the Cannes as well as a Golden Lion award for lifetime achievement at the Venice Film Festival.
He is best known as the film director of Eraserhead, The Elephant Man, Blue Velvet, Mulholland Drive and Twin Peaks.
If you’re not familiar with Lynch’s work, well, prepare to enter the world of the surreal and the bizarre. Here’s a great video that explores his best movies:
WHAT IS MASTERCLASS?
MasterClass is an online platform that allows you to learn skills from professionals who are titans of their industry. We’d already taken the Annie Leibovitz Masterclass + the Werner Herzog MasterClass and loved the value for money we got.
What does the enrollment fee include?
This is what MasterClass provides :
• On-Demand Lessons : Access to every lesson in the class and stream on your own schedule. David Lynch Masterclass has pre-recorded video lessons, ready for viewing (and re-watching) at any time.
• Downloadable Workbook : Masterclass usually provides lesson recaps, takeaways and optional assignments in an exclusive downloadable PDF workbook. David Lynch’s Masterclass has no workbook at the moment, but we think it may be added in future.
• Student Community : Upload your own work, meet other students in your class, share ideas, collaborate and connect in a dedicated forum.
• Office Hours Section : Access to instructor feedback and answers. Periodically, students may have opportunities to submit their work to David. As those opportunities arise students will be notified and given directions on how to submit their work.
• Any Device : Learn on your computer, phone, or tablet. Download the MasterClass iPhone and iPad apps to take your classes anywhere you go.
Despite its name, the following video has nothing to do with the new 2019 David Lynch Masterclass, but provides great insight on his personality.
David Lynch MasterClass : What To Expect
David Lynch initially wanted to be a painter. One day, while a student at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, a painting he was working on seemed to move. From that day, he started being interested in film. All his life he tried to combine both worlds, cinema and art, creating a unique and personal universe.
While his work is often abstract, Lynch has consistently declined to elaborate on the deeper meanings of his films and techniques.
That’s what makes his Masterclass so special and intriguing to us.
We are sure his Masterclass will be thrilling and unpredictable.
“It doesn’t do any good to say, ‘This is what it means.’ When you are spoon fed a film, people instantly know what it is. I like films that leave room to dream.” David Lynch
David Lynch Masterclass : Release Date
David Lynch Masterclass 2019 is currently OPEN.
Once you enroll, you have lifetime access to all his lessons.
RECOMMENDED READING: DAVID LYNCH’S BOOKS
David has written books about creativity, filmmaking and meditation. If you haven’t read his work yet, pick up any of the following titles. Although not required, they will benefit you throughout the Masterclass.
• Catching the Big Fish (Meditation, Consciousness, and Creativity) : this book offers us a rare glimpse into Lynch’s own head. A great dive into his creative process.
• Lynch on Lynch : This is a transcript of a series of new interviews with David Lynch conducted by Chris Rodley, himself a filmmaker. Their conversation covers David’s early work as a painter and describes his career through the making of his major films.
• Room to Dream : Part-memoir, part-biography, this volume collects for the first time a series of interviews with nearly everyone involved in Lynch’s life. Longtime collaborators like Angelo Badalamenti, Laura Dern and Mel Brooks reveal the inner story of David’s life behind the art.
• The Man from Another Place : This book by Dennis Lim (mentioned on the video above) gives us great insights and an invaluable set of keys to unlock the enigmatic work of David Lynch.
What about you?
What do you expect to learn in this class?
Leave a comment below to share your thoughts!
More from London Filmmakers: